Amateur Astronomy Links
- Astronomy Resources
- Sky and Telescope Magazine
- Astronomy Magazine
- Meade Instruments — Make portable
- Celestron — Make portable
- Jim's Mobile — Make portable
large-aperture telescopes, such as the NGT-18.
- Astro Works — Make the
Centurion 18 telescope, good for asteroid/comet hunting.
- Asteroid Detection
with the Centurion 18 from Aguila, Arizona April 6, 2000
- Santa Barbara Instrument — Make CCD
imagers for telescopes.
- Minor Planet Observer
— Offer software to plan observation, control telescopes and cameras,
analyze images, identify asteroids, calculate their trajectories, and issue
reports of new objects.
- Cyanogen Productions — Make
MaxIm DL digital imaging software for use with CCDs.
- Software Bisque — Make
TheSky telescope control software.
- Integral Systems, Inc. — Offer
Epoch 2000 sky software, especially the
OASYS (Orbit Analysis System)
module for calculating orbits.
- Clear Sky Institute, Inc.
— Offer XEphem free
star-charting, sky-simulating, ephemeris-generating celestial software for
- OrbFit — Software to fit a
tentative orbit to a set of observations. May become integrated with XEphem.
- Austin Astronomical Society —
Have observing field at Canyon of the Eagles.
- Texas Astronomical Society of
Dallas — Serve Dallas-Fort Worth area.
- Houston Astronomical Society
— Serve the Houston area.
- San Antonio Astronomical
Association — Serve the Alamo City area.
- Austin Astronomy and Science
— Telescope dealer.
Observatory — Main professional observatory of Texas.
- The Spacewatch Project
— Effort of Lunar and Planetary Laboratory, The University of Arizona, at
Foundation — For protection of the Earth from impacts of large
celestial objects (comets and asteroids).
Impact Possibilities — From NEODys.
- Lincoln Near-Earth
Asteroid Research (LINEAR) — NASA/MIT project to find NEOs, but could
use help from amateurs.
- Guide to
Minor Body Astrometry — For those observers interested in undertaking
an astrometric CCD-observing program of minor planet and/or comets.
- Willmann-Bell, Inc. — Offer the
Handbook of Astronomical Image Processing.
- Data Base
of Terrestrial Impact Structures — Where impactors have hit in the
- Tunguska event of 1908 is
thought to have been caused by an impactor that exploded in the atmosphere.
- Pestigo fire of
1871 in Wisconsin, thought to have been caused by an impactor airburst
which also caused Chicago Fire.
- Space Solar Power — An alternative solution to need for energy.
- Asteroid Bonanza, by Michael Khan, 01. April 2010 — SciLogs.
- Gold rush in space?, by BBC News Online Science Editor Dr David Whitehouse — Analysis of how it could be done.
Back to Main Links Page